Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Room - Book

It occurs to me that I ought to include the author in my book reviews. Oh well. If someone wants to find the book badly enough they can find it. Or they can ask me and maybe I will remember. Ha ha Ha ha ha! Anyway, I was looking in Carol's book case for something to read and I found Room. When I was working at The Smith, Room was one of the movies I showed. I think I even watched it. Because the book seemed pretty familiar. Come to think of it, I think I rented it (got it from the library or from Netflix). It is the story of a young boy who has grown up entirely in an 11 x 11 room, thinking it was the entire world. Overall, I enjoyed the book. I thought at times there were a few inconsistencies in the logic, but I for gave those. I'm not sure that I will rush out to find another book by this author, since this one was a little on the gimmicky side.

Spoiler: I just had a realization - the mom gets severely depressed and I couldn't figure out why. I just realized, it was because she had her own realization - after the TV interviewer asks why the mom hadn't asked her captor to take the baby and give him away she realizes that she could have done that. True, she was young, desperate for a connection, for company, for love, but the truly selfless choice probably would have been to let the child go rather than to keep him in trapped in the room with her. Wow. Makes me like the book a bit better, actually...

No comments:

Post a Comment