Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Shantaram - Book



The title of the book did nothing for me. I think it is about one third of the way into the book that we discover that Shantaram is the name that he is given by his Indian friend's family. I have very mixed feelings about the book. It is really, really long. Actually, it felt like about three books in one. I don't know who edited the thing, but maybe dividing it into a trilogy would have been a good idea. There seemed to be three major parts - The first part about Lin in the slums. Then Lin and the Gangsters. And then Lin and Afghanistan, etc. I thought the writing was decent and it certainly kept my attention. Not sure about his relationship with Karla. Hmm. I will keep thinking about. Would I recommend it? Sure. An island book? No, I don't think so. Glad I read it for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment