Saturday, October 7, 2017

Serenity (An Island Movie)

I thoroughly enjoyed the Firefly series. It had its issues, as all shows do, but overall it was well conceived and executed. Sadly, Fox didn't think so. It lasted only one season. There was a huge outpouring of outrage and requests that the show be continued. Somehow, Fox agreed to do a movie, which is Serenity. This is one of the movies that I have seen at least five times and will gladly watch anytime, anywhere with anyone, in any language, on any size screen. Yes, this is an Island Movie.

Is it great art? No. Is it culturally important, doubtful. What it is, is a great (albeit sad in places) story that gives fans of Firefly some sort of closure.

It starts with River being rescued from the government. And ends with River rescuing the crew. Well, sort of. I can't really tell too much of the story without giving the whole thing away. If you like science fiction, I would highly recommend watching this movie. It is fine as a standalone piece, but better understood after watching the extant episodes of the Firefly TV series.

Island Movie! How many do I get? I thought it was five, but maybe it was ten? We shall see. With the advent of huge storage devices, I am sure we could get ten on the island, couldn't we? Hmm? Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment